We independently analysis, take a look at, assessment, and suggest the most effective merchandise—study extra about our course of. For those who purchase one thing via our hyperlinks, we might earn a fee.
Diamond rings is perhaps the go-to alternative for brides world wide, however that does not imply you must select the normal stone. Give the traditional engagement ring a bit of little bit of an replace by choosing a pink sapphire, which is the right distinctive piece for a bridal look. Moreover, due to their power and sturdiness, pink sapphire rings are a superb decide for one thing you may doubtless put on daily.
What Is a Pink Sapphire?
A pink sapphire is a valuable coloured stone. “[They] are actually attention-grabbing stones as a result of they’re a part of the identical gem household as rubies, and when a pink sapphire’s saturation and coloration turns right into a deeper pink/purple, the stone is assessed as a ruby,” explains jeweler Jillian Sassone.
What’s extra, Sassone notes that pink sapphire vary in coloration from a light-weight pale pink to a pink so deep it nearly seems purple or purple. They’re a lovely and distinctive possibility for an engagement ring, and align properly with brides-to-be who appreciates daring however pared-back aesthetics.
Meet the Consultants
- Jillian Sassone is a jeweler and proprietor of Marrow Positive, a model that creates new—and works with heirloom—jewellery items.
- Easter Ahn-Lee is the founding father of Easter Ahn Design and a Graduate Gemologist on the Gemological Institute of America (GIA). She has been within the jewellery trade since 2007.
Thinking about studying extra? Beneath is all the pieces it’s good to learn about pink sapphire engagement rings earlier than you commit to purchasing one.
Historical past of Pink Sapphire
Pink sapphire really has a glamorous historical past behind them. “All through historical past, pink sapphire symbolize love and had been related to royalty,” says jeweler and designer Easter Ahn-Lee. “Royalty would adorn themselves with sapphire not solely as an indication of wealth, however to guard the wearer from envy and hurt.
She additionally notes that pink sapphire are purported to have the facility to deliver concord between lovers, peace between enemies, and to deliver blessings. One other fashionable perception is that sapphire has therapeutic properties to extend power and well being, and to thrust back sicknesses and poisons.
Professionals and Cons of a Pink Sapphire Engagement Ring
A vital benefit to proudly owning a pink sapphire engagement ring is that these stones are nearly as laborious as diamonds. “They’ve a ranking of 9 on the Mohs scale (which charges a fabric’s hardness on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the toughest),” says Ahn-Lee. “This makes it the toughest mineral after a diamond, which has a ranking of 10.” Since you may doubtless put on your engagement ring daily, it is advantageous to have one thing as laborious as potential to place up with the each day put on and tear.
If you would like a chunk that is distinctive, these stones may differ extensively in coloration, giving them a one-of-a-kind really feel. “Pink sapphire vary in coloration from purple to purple in mild tones, with weak to vivid saturation,” Ahn-Lee says. Lastly, and most significantly, pink sapphire are a extra reasonably priced possibility in comparison with a diamond.
As for the downsides? “I do not actually see any cons of a pink sapphire engagement ring except you do not like the colour pink,” Ahn-Lee shares. Since they’re so laborious and sturdy, they actually come down to non-public choice by way of professionals and cons.
What to Search for in a Pink Sapphire Engagement Ring
Search for a pink sapphire that does not have many inclusions (materials that’s trapped within the mineral). “Inclusions are a pure a part of sapphire (it is really what determines that they don’t seem to be artificial!), however sourcing a sapphire with minimal inclusions is right in order that they do not detract from the great thing about the stone,” Sassone says. She recommends buying from a good jeweler to seek out the highest quality you’ll be able to.
- What metals and cuts pair properly with pink sapphire? Selecting a steel to go together with your pink sapphire all comes down to non-public choice. “I believe it seems nice in a yellow gold setting,” Ahn-Lee says. The minimize can also be about choice, though Ahn-Lee notes that she loves these gem stones in a cushion or oval form.
- How are you going to inform if a pink sapphire is top quality? In response to Ahn-Lee, a high-quality stone might be vibrant with vivid saturation and superb luster. It ought to include a certification of authenticity that describes the stone’s high quality, carat weight, and form. She additionally recommends shopping for a pure untreated stone. “Many sapphire might be handled to rework cheap corundum into vibrant vivid fancy colours that folks need, that are decrease in worth,” she says.
- How a lot do pink sapphire typically value? Whereas the price finally is determined by the minimize and carat, you’ll be able to count on these stones to typically be inexpensive than diamonds. “Positive high quality pink sapphire starting from one to 2 carat normally prices between $500 and $800 per carat, and a two to a few carat pink sapphire normally prices $1-$5,000 per carat,” Ahn-Lee says. “Extremely saturated pinks, particularly from Sri Lanka and Myanmar, are uncommon and extremely wanted and command high costs per carat.”
Find out how to Take care of a Pink Sapphire Engagement Ring
Pink sapphire are sturdy, however they nonetheless require common upkeep and care to assist preserve their magnificence. Ahn-Lee recommends cleansing your ring with heat water, gentle dish cleaning soap (no detergents), and a mushy brush. “A pulsed-water dental cleansing equipment and a mushy, lint-free fabric will also be used,” she says.
As with all different gemstone, Sassone recommends simply treating it with common care. “Be sure to’re taking off your jewellery for any intense actions, like weight lifting, or any actions the place chemical substances may come into contact with the jewellery, like swimming in a chlorine pool.” Each jewelers suggest taking the ring to a neighborhood trusted jeweler annually to make sure it is in good situation and the stone is safe.
Beneath is a group of pink sapphire you may wish to take a look at when you’re considering of shopping for one.